Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Big Yes! Isle of Wight Fest by Sewphie T


Lucky me hosted the most recent Mr X Stitch/Phat Quarter swap. I chose the 1970s as the theme. Artists from all over the world ran wild using the 1970s as a starting point and, so far, the pieces have included meditations on science, music, cultural history, fashion and craft of the 1970s. And new work keeps being added.

By Sewphie T, 2012

I’ve been blown away by many of the pieces. This is especially true of the amazing embroidery that I received from Sewphie T, a master needlewoman from the U.K. 

When I made the swap lists I actually felt a little guilty for assigning Sewphie to me. I so admire her work and skill. She does stumpwork! (Good god, stumpwork! That is some serious needlework in my book.)

Sewphie’s Isle of Wight piece… it is breathtaking. Based on a photograph from the 1970 Isle of Wight music festival, the artwork is covered in her delicate, fine stitching. The variegated thread resembles tie-dye. It is hard to describe the slightly haunted look on the subject’s face that Sewphie has somehow managed to capture. Uncanny.  I am awed by it. Inspired.  I have never made such tiny stitches in my life.

Sewphie writes about this gorgeous piece on her blog

Having this in my own home to look at whenever I want is amazing. The quality of her work will serve as my guide in my own stitching.

I’m hosting the next Phat Quarter Swap, which will open for signups on the 31st of August. I picked the secret new theme especially to encourage playfulness and creativity. Please join us! For more information, check back on Mr X Stitch and in the Phat Quarter group on flickr.

For now, spend some time with Sewphie T’s beautiful artwork (which was recently featured on the cover of &stitches) on her blog and her flickr stream.

Big, breathless Yes to Sewphie T and her amazing work!


"Big Yes!" is a blog feature where I share, with the artist’s permission, a piece of textile art that has opened my eyes to the possibility of what we can create.  When faced with things that are truly beautiful or moving or that fill me with awe, I try to say yes. More than that, Big Yes.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your lovely words O! It was a fantastic theme for a swap and such a great group of people took part. I received such a fab embroidery from SisterTwisty and I really enjoyed stitching the piece for you; best...swap...ever x

    ReplyDelete