Saturday, January 4, 2014

DynamO!

Sometimes you just get lucky. Check out the FANTASTIC present that Jamie "Mr X Stitch" Chalmers made for me!!

DynamO, X stitch, by Jamie Chalmers (2013.)


I consider myself insanely fortunate to know and work with Jamie. What a huge hearted, big vision, crazy talented force in the contemporary needlecraft art world. I love this guy.


Jamie in action.
(Photo by Emma Beckett for Urban Threads.)

I remember when Jamie first asked me to contribute to the Mr X Stitch site. I was visiting my brother's family in Austin for my nephew's high school graduation and I got a FB message from Jamie, asking me to take on the Too Cute for Mr X Stitch weekly column. Even though I'm not inherently attracted to "cute," I leapt at the chance.


Push Stitchery by Jamie Chalmers features groundbreaking
needlework. One of my favorite textile art books.


Now, in addition to the Too Cute Tuesdays, I'm writing a monthly column for the site called Inspired to Stitch (my latest column comes out this Tuesday, featuring a provocative and talented NYC artist) and organizing the Phat Quarter artist swaps. And if I didn't have a corporate career, I'd want to do more for the site.



The talented Mr X.

Jamie's newest venture is Weave, a social network for stitchers. I haven't had a chance to sign up yet, but I will be doing it this weekend. Stitchers... check it out.



Detail. The aida sparkles!


I love this DynamO piece so much. Seeing masterful stitching like this is person is a little humbling. Even the ground aida fabric is flawless. The shading of the stitching is delicate and perfect. Jamie is a master craftsman.

OK, now I'm extra motivated to stitch and create. Thank you, Jamie! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. A very cool project! And when you can't do embroidery all the time, isn't writing about it also a thrill? I get inspired when I do it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hanna! Yes, it is a thrill and I want to do more of it in 2014!

      Delete